Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Get Literary

Date #3 was unexpectedly a great time.  When I read this one, I'm not going to lie, I wasn't to excited.  After all is said and done however, we both had a great time.  For our third date we choose number 23 in our book;

Get Literary
"Explore your intellectual side.  Even if you're not an avid reader, you might be surprised at the conversations a visit to a bookstore, library, or book fair can spark.  Browse the shelves, and talk about anything that draws your attention."


So off to good ol Barnes & Noble we went.  On the way to the bookstore I created a book scavenger hunt to try and spice up our little book reading extravaganza.  My idea was to make a list of certain things that we both had to find in books and then show each other what we came up with.  This is the scavenger hunt list I came up...

  1. One of your favorite childhood books
  2. One of your favorite poems
  3. A recipe you want to try
  4. A fun historical fact
  5. One riddle
  6. A book about a hobby you want to get into
  7. A book you want to buy
  8. One really cool coffee table book
  9. One piece of marital advice
  10. A place you would love to travel
We selected three of them randomly and took off through the store to find our selections.  Once we found our selections we went and sat done and showed each other what we found.  I'm sure at this point you are all thinking "please shoot me" but it was actually really fun.  I won't go into details on all of our books we found, but I will give you the highlights.

The high point for me was finding one of our favorite childhood books. I'm not kidding, my normally non emotional wife starts crying as she was telling me about her book.  It was really sweet.  Here are the books we chose...

Kate's Book
  Jon's Book

I had never seen Kate's book, but it was really good.  The Berenstain Bears were some of my favorite books growing up and moving day was my favorite because I was moving all the time when I was younger.

Kate found some great marital advice, which I'm pretty sure she still hasn't stopped laughing yet.

Very funny Kate... If she was only as good a cook as my mom. One thing we did discover while looking through the marital advice books, was if you you need marital advice, don't go to Barnes & Noble! Crazy people write advice books, I'm not kidding.

Some of the other things we picked were a coffee table book with the front page of the New York Times for the past 60 years or something which was really cool. Kate's poem was Robert Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening and my poem was William Carlos Williams' Red Wheelbarrow.  Kate wants to get into sewing and I bought a book on cooking poultry (I'm newly obsessed with cooking).  The night turned out great! We had great time laughing and giving each other a hard time. 

Leave a comment and tell us some of your favorite childhood books, poems, marital advice, or anything else on our scavenger hunt list! Vote in our new Poll! ----------------->

1 comment:

  1. Awww presh! Actually, Ty and I go to Barnes and Nobes a LOT together but we always split up (Ty in the design/architecture section, Morgan in the magazines/wedding section! ha Not too romantic!) This is a great one. I agree about the marriage advice books, as well as most of the religious books -- total crap! Ha LOVE YOU BOTH.

    --Morg

    ReplyDelete